Welcome to Spectrum Christian Homeschool Community!
Spectrum Christian Homeschool Community is a group of Christian families who join together for academics, enrichment, fellowship, and service to meet the needs of our homeschooled children. We aim to provide homeschoolers with excellent teachers and classes in a bi-weekly classroom setting that facilitates information gathering and learning while parents direct and evaluate their students' progress at home. Teachers who profess faith in Jesus Christ and who specialize in various academic core and elective class areas make up our talented tutorial staff.
Students may choose one class or many from our Tuesday/Thursday schedules. Classes meet at Hope Baptist Church in Laurel, Maryland.
Who We Are
- We are a Christ-centered organization.
- We are governed by the Oversight Committee (the OC), a rotating volunteer board of directors made up of Spectrum parents.
- We offer classes for which tuition is charged. (Tuition does not cover the cost of books, materials, or special supply fees.)
- We are not a co-op or a school. We do not provide record keeping or grading services (with the exception of some dialectic- and rhetoric-level classes as well as grammar-level English).
- We provide support to home-schooling parents and students.
- All students enrolled in Spectrum’s history classes will be studying the same time period simultaneously.
- In each class, opportunities exist for a light through a much more intense and/or difficult workload.
- Parents decide what is required of their students and will, for the most part, grade their own student’s work.
Core academic classes are taught at all levels (grammar - 3rd-6th grades, dialectic 6th-9th grades, and rhetoric 9th-12th grades)
- English literature, writing, and grammar
- American Sign Language
- Science, including high-school-level anatomy and physiology, biology, chemistry, and physics
- Social sciences, including geography and Maryland history for dialectic students and government for rhetoric students (alternating years)
- Art and Music Appreciation
- Book Club
- Cooking and Nutrition
- Healthy Living
- Kids in the Kitchen
- Know as You Grow (unit studies for 3rd-7th graders; alternating years)
- Know Before You Go (unit studies for 9th-12th graders; alternating years)
- Life Skills God's Way
- Personal Finance (alternating years)
- Photography and Yearbook
- Senior Seminar
Spectrum Facebook Page
Stagelight Productions Facebook Page
Policy of Non-Discrimination
The organizations, officers, directors, employees, students, and persons served by Spectrum Christian Homeschool Community shall be selected in a non-discriminatory manner with respect to age, sex, race, color, national origin, and political affiliation.
Spectrum Christian Homeschool Community admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available by our tutorial service. Further, Spectrum does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, hiring policies, admissions policies, or programs.