Who We Are
- We are a Christ-centered organization.
- We are governed by the Oversight Committee (the OC), a rotating volunteer board of directors made up of Spectrum parents.
- We offer classes for which tuition is charged. (Tuition does not cover the cost of books, materials, or special supply fees.)
- We are not a co-op or a school. We do not provide record keeping or grading services (with the exception of some dialectic- and rhetoric-level classes as well as grammar-level English).
- We provide support to home-schooling parents and students.
- All students enrolled in Spectrum’s history classes will be studying the same time period simultaneously.
- In each class, opportunities exist for a light through a much more intense and/or difficult workload.
- Parents decide what is required of their students and will, for the most part, grade their own student’s work.
Statement of Faith
- That the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, and authoritative Word of God. (II Timothy 3:16)
- That there is one God eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (I John 5:5-7)
- That our Lord Jesus Christ is both God and man in one person. In His Virgin birth, in His sinless life, and His miracles, in His bodily resurrection, in His Ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory He is our Redeemer. (I Corinthians 15:3, I Peter 2:21-24, John 3:16)
- That God created man and all things very good, visible and invisible, by the power of His Word. (Genesis 1, 2, John 1)
- That all people are, in the natural state, lost and sinful and in need of renewal by the Holy Spirit, faith in Jesus Christ, and repentance toward God. (Romans 3:21-30, Galatians 4:4-7)
- That salvation is by grace through faith alone. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- That faith without works is dead. (James 2:17)
- That the Christian is enabled to live a godly life by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-25)
- That there is a resurrection of both the saved and the lost: they that are saved, unto the resurrection of life; and they that are lost, unto the resurrection of damnation. (John 5:24, 28, 29)
- That there is a spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ (John 17:21-23)
Given current public discussion and legal attention given to these areas, we find it necessary to present the following statement of belief on gender, marriage, and sexuality.
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as either male or female. These two distinct complementary sexes together reflect the image and nature of God (Genesis 1:26-27). Rejection of one's biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
- We believe that God created marriage to be exclusively the union of one man and one woman, and that intimate sexual activity is to occur exclusively within that union (Genesis 2:18-25; 1 Corinthians 6:18; 7:2-5; Hebrews 13:4).
- We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the beliefs of Spectrum Christian Homeschool Community.
Where and When We Meet
Spectrum meets at Hope Baptist Church
8801 Stephens Road
Laurel, Maryland 20723
We meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays
10:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Your Oversight Committee
Spectrum's Oversight Committee (OC) is a rotating team of elected volunteer member parents who serve for two-year terms.
2022-2023 Oversight Committee
Co-Presidents - Pamela Fahs and Donna Klaver
Vice-President - Jeneane Tolley
Secretary - Pamela Fahs
Treasurer - Sue Lee
Care Team Chair - Jenni Wilson
Hospitality Team Chairs - Donna Klaver and Jenni Wilson
Building Liaison - Jeneane Tolley
Parent-Teacher Liaison - Donna Klaver
Stagelight Productions Liaison - Pamela Fahs
Registrar - Jeneane Tolley
Webmaster - Pamela Fahs
Policy of Nondiscrimination
The organizations, officers, directors, employees, students, and persons served by Spectrum Christian Homeschool Community shall be selected in a non-discriminatory manner with respect to age, sex, race, color, national origin, and political affiliation.
Spectrum Christian Homeschool Community admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available by our tutorial service. Further, Spectrum does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, hiring policies, admissions policies, or programs.